Monday, May 25, 2009

Remembering

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

This holiday had made me think even more about the people that have sacrificed their lives for this country. It isn't just about barbeques and watermelon...it is remembering the soldiers and their families who have made the ultimate sacrifice. At the front of Fort Carson (where we live) there is a Fallen Soldier memorial.

This past Saturday 46 additional names (soldiers who were killed this past year) were added to the memorial to make the total 254!
254 soldiers have died since 2003 from Fort Carson! Here are some photos from the Memorial...




This last photo brings tears to my eyes...I couldn't even imagine losing my son!

I know elsewhere in the country in honor of Memorial Day there was a several day long ceremony at a Memorial where they read (without stopping) the names of 148,000 soldiers who have been killed at war and buried there. Some read fast and some read slow, some in high voices and some with their voices wavering...until every single name was read...it took them several days without stopping...

Unbelieveable! I wish I could have been there...

No comments: