Monday, May 25, 2009

I love Squares!

Last weekend our church held something called a "Privident Living Fair" where we went to different classes and learned about all sorts of interesting things, such as budgeting, food storage, ways to save money, 72 hour kids, and square foot gardening. (Being a convert, I didn't grow up knowing these things and I LOVE learning about them!)

The square foot gardening really got me interested! I called Daniel on my way home and asked him to make me one and I described how it works...he actually had some wood left over from making the kids a toy box and agreed to make it on his next free day! It didn't take him more than 10 minutes to put it together for me. Home Depot is having 10% off for military because of Memorial Day so we decided to get our peat moss and soil right away. We had been making compost for a while now and it was just about ready. (Pam would be happy to know we are being way more environmentally conscious, with Daniel riding his bike to work, recycling, gardening, and making our own compost! Oh, and Pam, I really do think about finding ways to drive less now, I plan my outings and stops now.

The growing season is really just beginning here because of the weather...I planted some tomatoes, cucumbers (they died), and parsley about 6 weeks ago. They didn't seem to be thriving very well but I am hoping that all changes with this garden. The SQ Ft. garden has pvc piping going from corner to corner and has platic over it, to make it like a greenhouse, the weather (and wind...especially the wind) makes growing a garden very difficult here.

I would like to plant some other plants soon since I have about 10 open squares. I had some carrot seeds but I cannot seem to find them anywhere! I am just amazed by how many things can be planted in one little 4x4 box!

I will include some pictures in my next posting...

-Chancy

1 comment:

Pam Emerson said...

Wow, Chancy, I'm so proud of you. Not only because of your consciousness about saving energy, but also for starting your fitness adventure (that's what I call it, and boy has it been an adventure for me:) Great job! I'm so glad Daniel is biking, that's awesome. I love riding bikes (as you know) and I love when others find that joy as well. Keep it up! Good luck with the garden. I hope it brings you much happiness.

~Pam