Monday, January 4, 2010

I am a Gingerbreadatarian- Eating gingerbread & gingerbread by-products!

"And I had but one penny in the world. Thou should’st have it to buy gingerbread." – William Shakespeare, Love’s Labours Lost


Every year in the Walker family a gingerbread house is made. Each year a different person gets to decide what is going to be made and design the house. Last year I had the opportunity to decide on the design...I made a ranch-style gingerbread house with the fence and horses. This year it was my sis-in-law Chealse's turn to design the house...and the Empire State building was the design!

Are you wondering how it is standing up on it's own? There was an oatmeal cylinder used in the middle to give the gingerbread more support.

There are many hours and lots of creativity that goes into the gingerbread house. All six grandchildren helped with adding the candies and frosting. After eating almost the entire gingerbread house the previous year I tried to stay away...for fear that having any would make me lose my self-control! Seriously though, I really ate most of the gingerbread house last year! I would have some with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert!

Aiden adding the top gumdrop the the gingerbread house! I think his candy ratio went something like this...1 candy for the house and two for me!
Audrina mostly just sat there and ate the candy :-)
Melissa is probably going to KILL me for posting this picture...oh well! She was looking at the gingerbread house. That's how yummy it looked, you can see it in her eyes!


Eve decorating with licorice strings.
Miyuki is such a ham for the camera these days!

Melissa, Lauren and I
Once the gingerbread house was completely decorated and the children were allowed to eat it things got REALLY quiet! I kept finding both Aiden and Audrina planted in the chair in front of the gingerbread house. They were working on it like it was their job. It did double duty...kept them quiet and full! I think that they are still getting back to normal from all of the sugar they ingested in Virginia beach!

No comments: